Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Here I Go...

Well, here goes nothing. I'll make it as short as I can. I began researching WLS (weight loss surgery) in October of 2007. Now after several appointments, over a dozen vials of blood, insurance approval for a $30,000 procedure and many medical tests performed, I am having a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) on January 23rd, 2008. While I have always been "me", I haven't been "me" for years. Those of you that know me well know this about me. I may seem happy, bubbly and confident on the outside, but that is the complete opposite of how I actually feel in the body I have grown into. I want to have that happiness back. After years and dozens of try-and-fail attempts at every diet under the sun, in addition to poor eating habits, Hosford genes and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, here I am at the weight I am. I am ready to change now.

I will post here often, as I will be using it as a place to "vent" over my journey. If you want to know more info on the VSG, leave a comment and I'll send you some. I have some great links.

Many people see WLS as a easy way out of obesity, and I will admit I was one of those people. I am here to say that it is the polar opposite. It will be very, very hard, starting 2 weeks before surgery with an all liquid, gross diet. Then POOF! 85% of my stomach will be cut right out of my body. Then 4 weeks of liquids to ensure the staples don't leak while my new tummy heals, then soft foods for weeks, then watch what I eat every day, then a certain amout of protein and water are required each day...the list goes on and on. I say bring on the challenge, I am ready.

I hope to show you along the way that this is anything but easy...

10 comments:

The Hansen's said...

Good Luck Kate....I will keep you in my prayers on your 'journey to the new you'. You are a very determined person and I know that you will have much success in this newest challenge:)

Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

As you know Kate, we are incredibly proud of you making a tough decision, but on you know is right for you. We are thrilled to be your supporters on this journey, through presence and prayer. We love you bunches any way that you are but are excited for you to be a happier gal. Loves and smooches from us!

The Burkholder Family said...

Good luck girl - you are such a strong person and I know that you can do this. What an amazing feat you will be up against...and overcome. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help - support, talks, anything. All our love and support.

The Ellison Family said...

Good luck Katie,

You will be in our thoughts and prayers during this long journey. You are an amazingly strong person and we have all the confidence that you will do wonderfully on this journey. I am so happy for you. I found out we live about 5 minutes from you so if you ever need anything please don't hesitate to let me know.

Tom, Lauren, Maddie and Cru said...

Katie, you are such an inspiration and we are very proud of you for making this blog. :) This is going to be such an adventure and of course challenge. We couldn't be happier and more proud of you. We are always here for you and you know that if there is anything, count on us.
Tom and Lauren

Jason, Johanna and Thys said...

You go girl!!! Our thoughts and prayers go to you and Austin through this new journey. I know so many people that have been successful and wouldn't go back for anything. It is truly amazing how they became so much happier on the inside to match the happiness of what everybody else saw on the outside. Can't wait to follow and support your journey!! So proud of your bravery! You can do it!!! Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Katie~We wish you the best of luck in your journey and offer any support that you may need. Love you girl!

Aaron, Katie, Kylie & Ava said...

Katie,
We wish you the best of luck and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Please let us know if you need anything during your recovery. I'm on maternity leave so I will be around if you need help.

Leticia said...

Wow Katie, you are so courageous! We will be praying for you from this day on, throughout your journey. I truly admire your honesty and vulnerability! That alone shows what a strong woman you are.

Carlson's said...

Way to go, we will be looking forward to following you along the way in your journey. You will do great! What an amazing thing to overcome, you are a strong woman & you have an amazing support system. God Bless you & Austin on this journey.